New Thrifty Find - Barrel Cane Chair Makeover Begins

I recently found a new Goodwill (thrift store) not far from home.  It's a huge store, which I am loving because they get new items in daily. I've been there three times in the past week already.  I found this great barrel back chair with cane sides for only $30.  At first I debated on buying it, but after sitting in it for a few minutes, I knew I had to have it.  


Although when I first laid eyes on the chair I knew it had great makeover potential.  I wasn't sure if I could handle the tufting on my own so I was a little scared.  So what I did was this, while sitting in the chair at the Goodwill store, I browsed the internet for "painted cane chair photos".  Within a couple of minutes I was able to find several great inspiration pictures!!!  Those pictures of other peoples sucecssful DIY makeovers are what convinced me that I had to have this chair.  It had to come home with me.  Plus the fact that it was super comfortable, made it a winner.

The deconstruction process has begun and I'm super excited about what this chair will become.  Unfortunately I did put a small hole in my thumb with one of the staples as I was pulling it apart.  Oops, chalk that up to inexperience.  I guess it's a part of the learning curve!   Although it does hurt a little and has delayed my progress a bit, I am fine and soon this beauty will be a masterpiece.  


I went to my local fabric store and picked up two different fabrics. Since I wasn't sure which I wanted to use, I just purchased both. One is a cream color cotton duck fabric and the other is a striped greige (grey beige) with cream fabric.  Whichever I don't use on this chair, I can use on another project.  The plain fabric will definitely be much easier to work with, but I'm still considering using the stripe fabric and just not tufting it.  The finished project will be a surprise for both you and for me.  

I've decided to just let the chair talk to me as I make progress on it. No, I'm not crazy. I know that the furniture doesn't really talk to me. But if you like DIY projects, then you hopefully understand what I mean when I say it talks to me as I work on it.  Just like when it calls out to me in the store "please take me home"...  Doesn't this happen to everyone?

Until next time,
Happy decorating!

Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all of your comments and I read every one... I'd love to hear from you!

Blessings,
Diana